"Normal" Formal Hall
All MCR-only dinners are advertised on this website in the "Socials" section. In addition to these, College also runs Formal Hall aimed primarily at the Undergraduates who cannot directly book an MCR dinner.
You can go to as many non-MCR formals as you like. They are almost every Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during term. There are no dinners outside of term. You can take large groups on Tuesday and Saturday by contacting the catering staff. The price of your ticket is about £7. A single guest ticket costs about £10, but taking more guests costs more per ticket, up to about £14 per guest for the three guests maximum.
Food is served at 7:30pm, and you queuing starts at about 7:10pm. You should be there by 7:15pm or so if you want to get a good seat. Your name is taken at the door and checked against the signup. The food is good, but unlike MCR Dinners, there is not usually port or cheese. You can bring your own wine or buy it in the buttery, and the staff will happily uncork for you at no charge. (They'll even bring champagne glasses if you have champagne.) Gowns are required.[top]
Booking Formal Hall
Booking for formal hall is quite simple:
- Go to www.emma.cam.ac.uk
- Click the Login button at the top right-hand corner of the page
- Click Raven Login.
- Log in to Raven. You will then be returned to the Emmanuel home page.
- Click the fork and knife symbol in the top right-hand corner of the page, just below the Logout button.
OR click the 'Book Formal Hall Online' link a bit further down the right-hand side of the page.)
- You should now be at the Formal Hall booking web page. Book away!
Guidance For Behaviour At Formal Hall
- Formal Hall is a special occasion and students should always have regard for their fellow diners, staff and college property. The following points should also be maintained.
- Gowns should always be worn by members of the College in Formal Hall and everyone is expected to arrive promptly at 7.30pm.
- The staff have the right to refuse admission to or to exclude anyone turning up who, in their opinion, is not in a fit state to participate in a civilised dinner.
- People should not wander round the hall unnecessarily, as this affects the catering staff.
- Throwing food is strictly prohibited. Drinking races or drinking games are not allowed at any time.
- Formal Halls are not an occasion for flashlight photography but it is permitted after the Fellows have left the hall or after coffee has been served.
- While the Fellows are in the hall there should be no toasting or singing. These activities are permitted, however, after the Fellows have left the hall as long as no inconvenience is caused to the staff.
- Pennying and other drinking games are strictly forbidden. Anyone found breaking this rule will be asked to leave. Continued breaking of this rule could result in the loss of College's alcohol license.